Did you know?
- The first World Cup football match kicked off in Uruguay on July 13, 1930 with France beating Mexico 4 to 1.
- 13 teams played in the first World Cup — Uruguay, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, France, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Romania, the United States and Yugoslavia.
- Only countries in two continents — South America and Europe — have won the World Cup; 9 times and 12 times respectively.
- World Cup Winners — Brazil 5, Germany 4, Italy 4, Uruguay 2, Argentina 2, England 1, France 2 and Spain 1.
- Because of World War II, the World Cup was not held between 1938 and 1950. Hence Italy were the reigning World Cup champions for a record 16 years (from 1932 until 1950).
- In 1986, shirt swapping was officially prohibited because FIFA did not want players to bare their chests on the field!